Q: Do you accept Debit/Credit Cards?
The license department accepts Visa debit and Mastercard, Discover credit.  There is a $2.50 fee charged with a debit card and a 4% of the total transaction fee charged with a credit card.

Q: What do I need to bring to renew my car tags/license?
You should bring your notification post card you received in the mail for each vehicle and proof of insurance.  If you have insurance with a major carrier it is very possible you will not need to provide proof of insurance.

Q: What does it cost to transfer a vehicle?
Used vehicle: selling price X 6% + $21.00 tag fee for a year + $12.00 title fee, if there is no delinquent taxes owed. For additional information please link to our Motor Vehicle Records.

Q: I’ve just moved to Kentucky what do I need to register my vehicle?
Title from the other state, proof of sales tax paid, Kentucky proof of insurance, and drive the vehicle so it can be inspected.

Q: How long do you have to register a vehicle after purchasing it?
You have 15 days by law to register a vehicle after the date of purchase.

Q: How much does it cost to transfer a vehicle from a family member?
If a parent, grandparent, child, husband, or wife gives you a vehicle registered in Kentucky you do not have to pay usage or sales tax.

Q: How much does it cost to record a deed, mortgage, etc.?
Please see Recordings for all charges and requirements.

Q: What is the phone number for Circuit Court and/or District Court?
(270) 639-9160 or 270-639-9300

Q: Where do I pay my fines?
District or Circuit Court.

Q: Where do I get my Driver’s License?
District or Circuit Court.

Q: Am I registered to vote?  If so, where do I vote?
You can call 270-639-7006.

Q: How do I get a handicap placard?
Come in and pick up a form and get your doctor to sign it.

Q: How can I get a disabled hunting & fishing license?
 Click here for information pertaining to a disabled hunting and fishing license.  The County Clerk's office does not issue the license.  Find out where in Webster County you can obtain a hunting a fishing license.

Q: How do I apply for a marriage license?
Please see Marriage Licenses for all charges and requirements.

Q: Where can I get a copy of a birth or death certificate?
Certificates are available from the Cabinet for Health and Family Services, Office of Vital Statistics.  All certificates are kept in Frankfort.

Q: How do I become a Notary Public?
Notary public commissions are valid for four (4) years.  The following requirements must be met:

  • Applicant must be eighteen (18) years old or older
  • Resident of Webster County
  • Good moral character
  • Capable of discharging duties imposed by law
  • Cannot be a convicted felon
  • Applicant must complete application for Appointment to the Office of Notary Public Form.  Form may be picked up in County Clerk's Office or can be downloaded from the Secretary of State website.
  • Application must be signed by the Judge Executive, County Clerk or Circuit Clerk, Justice of the Peace, or a member of the General Assembly of the county of residence of the applicants.
  • The completed application must be mailed to:
    Kentucky Secretary of State
    Notary Commissions
    PO Box 821
    Frankfort, KY 40602-0821
    A $10.00 state fee must accompany the application. 
  • If approved, the applicant will be notified that a "Certificate of Appointment" has been sent to the applicant's County Clerk.
  • The applicant must come to the County Clerk's Office to take the oath of office and post bond.  The bond may be an insurance policy bond or a property owner can be the surety. The property owner must come to the clerk's office and sign for the applicant.
  • The recording fee is $19.00