Q: Do you accept Debit/Credit Cards?
A: The license department accepts Visa debit and Mastercard, Discover credit. There is a $2.50 fee charged with a debit card and a 4% of the total transaction fee charged with a credit card.
Q: What do I need to bring to renew my car tags/license?
A: You should bring your notification post card you received in the mail for each vehicle and proof of insurance. If you have insurance with a major carrier it is very possible you will not need to provide proof of insurance.
Q: What does it cost to transfer a vehicle?
A: Used vehicle: selling price X 6% + $21.00 tag fee for a year + $12.00 title fee, if there is no delinquent taxes owed. For additional information please link to our Motor Vehicle Records.
Q: I’ve just moved to Kentucky what do I need to register my vehicle?
A: Title from the other state, proof of sales tax paid, Kentucky proof of insurance, and drive the vehicle so it can be inspected.
Q: How long do you have to register a vehicle after purchasing it?
A: You have 15 days by law to register a vehicle after the date of purchase.
Q: How much does it cost to transfer a vehicle from a family member?
A: If a parent, grandparent, child, husband, or wife gives you a vehicle registered in Kentucky you do not have to pay usage or sales tax.
Q: How much does it cost to record a deed, mortgage, etc.?
A: Please see Recordings for all charges and requirements.
Q: What is the phone number for Circuit Court and/or District Court?
A: (270) 639-9160 or 270-639-9300
Q: Where do I pay my fines?
A: District or Circuit Court.
Q: Where do I get my Driver’s License?
A: District or Circuit Court.
Q: Am I registered to vote? If so, where do I vote?
A: You can check www.elect.ky.gov or you can call 270-639-7006.
Q: How do I get a handicap placard?
A: Come in and pick up a form and get your doctor to sign it.
Q: How can I get a disabled hunting & fishing license?
A: Click here for information pertaining to a disabled hunting and fishing license. The County Clerk's office does not issue the license. Find out where in Webster County you can obtain a hunting a fishing license.
Q: How do I apply for a marriage license?
A: Please see Marriage Licenses for all charges and requirements.
Q: Where can I get a copy of a birth or death certificate?
A: Certificates are available from the Cabinet for Health and Family Services, Office of Vital Statistics. All certificates are kept in Frankfort.
Q: How do I become a Notary Public?
A: Notary public commissions are valid for four (4) years. The following requirements must be met:
- Applicant must be eighteen (18) years old or older
- Be a citizen or pernanent legal resident of the United States;
- Be a resident of, or have a place of employment or practice in the Kentucky county where the application is made;
- Be able to read and write English; and not disqualified under KRS 423.395;
- Cannot be a convicted felon;
- Applicant must complete application for Appointment to the Office of Notary Public Form thru the Secretary of State website or downloaded from the Secretary of State website.
- Applicant must present proof of a $1000 Surety Bond;
- If mailing the completed application it must be mailed to:
Kentucky Secretary of State
PO Box 821
Frankfort, KY 40602-0821
A $10.00 state fee must accompany the application.
- If approved, the applicant will be notified that a "Certificate of Appointment" has been sent to the applicant's County Clerk.
- The applicant must come to the County Clerk's Office to take the oath of office and present proof of the $1000 Surety Bond.
- The recording fee to the County Clerk is $19.00